Saturday, February 13, 2010

Post #4-Assessment FOR Learning

As I read the 10 assessment for learning tenets, I was interested by the following: AFL develops learners’ capacity for self-assessment so that they can become reflective and self-managing. I really thought that this was an important principle. I feel that anytime a student has a chance to reflect back on what he/she has learned, there is the potential for further understanding. When you take a look back and re-discover information, you can then find new ways to use the information and grow and expand your knowledge.

Portfolio assessment has great potential. The best thing about a portfolio is its versatility. It can be used as an assessment of learning, a way to enhance teaching, and a marketing tool for this individual. If students are active participants in the creation of the portfolio, they are able to take ownership over their work and use it for their own benefit.

As I work to create my own portfolio for this class, I think that it will help to deepen the understanding of concepts and ideas. Creating the portfolio will allow me to look back over assignments and projects that I have created and add explanations for each. As I continue to add to the “digital story” of ETEC 524, I will begin to see the overall themes and ideas and how they work together to define educational technology and its use in the classroom.

No comments: